This is my go-t0, most favoritest chocolate cake recipe. I found it on the internet eons ago and can't find it again to give credit.
It was my sister's 26th birthday yesterday and mom was having us over for a really nice dinner so naturally I offered to make and bring the cake. I asked my sister what kind of cake she wanted - chocolate. I asked her what kind of icing she wanted - rainbow chip. You got it Sis!
I've never in my life had a slice of chocolate cake as moist as this. I urge you to try this recipe the next time you need a chocolate cake. Seriously, you cannot go wrong.
SERIOUSLY MOIST CHOCOLATE CAKE
Source: the vast world wide web
2 cups sugar
1 cup oil (I use canola oil)
1 cup milk (I only ever buy 1%)
1 cup HOT coffee
2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cups cocoa powder (I use Penzey's Dutch Processed Cocoa Powder)
2 cups cake flour (when I've substituted all-purpose flour, my cake always sank in the middle)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup sour cream
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Grease and flour your cake pan(s) (2 round, or 1 sheet).
3. Add all dry ingredients (except sugar) to a bowl and whisk to combine.
4. In mixer, add sugar and oil and mix to combine.
5. Add eggs one at a time until incorporated.
6. Slowly add milk, coffee and vanilla extract.
7. Add dry ingredients in increments with mixer on low speed.
8. Add sour cream and stir to combine.
9. Pour into cake pans and transfer to oven.
10. Bake for 40 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Again - try this recipe the next time you need a chocolate cake - you'll never try another!