Wednesday, January 23, 2008

The long awaited Shrimp Scampi



Well folks, I've had this recipe bookmarked for 7 months!!!! And I don't even know if this "nestie" is still around because I haven't come across her blog in a long time (good thing I bookmarked it!) because I'm not motivated enough to set up googlepages - so I visit blogs by clicking on the links in peoples' siggies. Anyhow, there was a series of events that led up to my finally being able to make this dish:

1. I've recently become obsessed with Trader Joe's, and I bought a bag of frozen shrimp - something I've never bought or cooked before, and
2. My husband was on night work - again - and he doesn't like shrimp.

Ok, that wasn't so much a series of events, but they were events nonetheless. And so I was 1 hour from leaving work today, and I was scrolling through all of my bookmarked internet favorites, and came across this long-buried link. LIGHTBULB!! But guess what - I don't normally stock lemons or fresh garlic in my house. So, a trip to the grocery store was necessary.

So off I went to the grocery store, grabbed what I needed, along with a beatifully fresh ciabatta roll to go along with it, and set off home and immediately began arranging my ingredients for dinner. Ok, I'm rambling. So here's the recipe with my notations in italics!






SHRIMP SCAMPI FOR TWO
adapted from Gourmet, April 2006


about 12-14 large shrimp, peeled and deveined (I used 24 frozen shrimp - the bag said they were large, but they looked small to me, so I read the servings sizes on the package - sure enough, 12 shrimp per person)
3 Tbsp - 1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup white wine (I used pinot grigio)
zest of one lemon
1 Tbsp lemon juice (I used 2 Tbsp because I love lemon in my pasta)
crushed red pepper flakes
3 cloves garlic, minced (I used my handy microplane for this)
1/4 cup chopped flat leaf parsley (I used dried parsley, because I don't do fresh herbs - didn't measure, just sprinkled however much I liked)
1-2 Tbsp unsalted butter
salt and pepper
1/3 box of long pasta (I used linguini)

-----

1. Boil and salt water and cook pasta according to package directions. Before draining, reserve 1/4 cup of pasta water.

2. Heat oil over med-med high heat. Season shrimp with salt and pepper. Saute until pink and firm (about 1-2 minutes - do not overcook). Remove shrimp and set aside.

3. Add minced garlic to pan and saute until fragrant (about 30 seconds).

4. Add lemon juice and wine. Cook to reduce just a pinch.

5. Add crushed red pepper (to taste), lemon zest and parsley.

6. Add butter and cook until just melted.

7. Return shrimp to pan. Transfer drained pasta to pan. Mix together.

8. Add as much of the reserved pasta water as is needed until the sauce reaches the desired consistency.






Serve with or without parmesan cheese - I meant to, but was too eager to EAT it so I forgot, and it was FABULOUS! HIGHLY recommend! Thanks Honeybear a/k/a Rach257!

2 comments:

Jaime said...

i love shrimp scampi! i can't believe you don't keep garlic on hand in your kitchen!!

Simply Chic said...

I forgot to tell you, I was visiting my parents a few weeks ago and decided to make this for them (DH is allergic to shellfish). I was happy to have some seafood and the family loved it!